JetBlue is the seventh-largest budget-friendly airline company based in North America. It daily operates over 1000 flights in more than 100 domestic and international places in the USA, Mexico, the Caribbean, Central America, and South America.
If you are planning to take one of those flights, you should check their baggage allowance to avoid any surprises at the gate. You will get all the information about JetBlue carry-on baggage, checked baggage, baggage fees, and everything that you should know before travelling here in one article.
JetBlue is very specific about its carry-on size and checked-in baggage policies. The maximum dimension for carry-on baggage size is (22x14x9) inches and (17×13×8) inches for personal items. Exceeding the given size can cost you from $65 to $180.Jetblue does not have any weight restrictions for carry-on baggage.JetBlue checked-in baggage fees start from $35 with basic blue and go up to $150 considering your flight category and which class you are flying. The limitation for checked-in baggage is 50 pounds and 62 inches in overall dimension. If your baggage is both oversized and overweight, you have to pay $150 for each.
JetBlue Flight Category:
The facilities of baggage allowance depending on which class you are flying. JetBlue offers various categories to fulfil your different needs.
Blue Basic: Blue basic is the starting category of JetBlue which is a basic economy class. It allows one personal item free of cost. But you have to pay fees for carry-on baggage and checked-in bags.
Blue Plus: Blue plus offers the same facilities as the basic blue with an extra one free checked baggage allowance. Passengers flying blue plus are allowed to carry one personal item, one carry-on bag, and one checked bag without paying fees.
Blue Extra: Blue extra doesn’t offer any free checked baggage on domestic flights. Flights between the U.S. and U.K. allow one free checked-in baggage.
Mint: Mint is JetBlue’s first-class flight which allows two free checked-in baggage and one carry-on, personal item.
JetBlue Carry-On Bags Allowance:
You might wanna carry your personal belongings with you during your trip. All your carry-bags and items have to fit within the airline-given specific chart otherwise you have to pay the oversized baggage fee. That’s why knowing the carry-on baggage allowance is important. You don’t want to pay any unnecessary fees for your carry-on bags. Here is the detailed information about JetBlue carry-on baggage allowance:
Carry-On Bags Instructions:
Carry-on bags size can not exceed the dimension of the overhead compartment. JetBlue doesn’t have any specific weight restrictions for carry-on baggage. Backpack, suitcase, small luggage, etc count as carry-on baggage. The allowed dimension of carry-on bags is following:
|Length(cm)||55.88 (22 inches)|
|Width (cm)||35.56 (14 inches)|
|Height (cm)||22.86 (9 inches)|
|Flight Category||One Free Carry-on Baggage Allowance|
Exception On Blue Basic Fares:
All other flight categories of JetBlue allow one carry-on bag except blue basic fare. But regarding this, there are some exceptions.
- Mosaic customers are allowed to carry one free baggage.
- Customers flying to/from London are also on this exception list.
- Active U.S. military personnel can have one carry-on baggage free of cost.
- Minors travelling without adults.
Carry-On Personal Item Instructions:
A carry-on personal item includes cameras, a laptop, a small backpack, electronic devices, etc. All categories of flights (Basic Blue, Blue, Blue Plus, Blue Extra, Mint) allow one personal item in the aircraft.
The personal items must be placed beneath the seat. Any bag that won’t fit under the seat can not be brought into the aircraft. JetBlue does not have any closets for hanging garment bags.
|Item||Carry-on Personal Item|
|Length(cm)||43.02 (17 inches)|
|Width (cm)||33 (13 inches)|
|Height (cm)||20.32 (8 inches)|
Oversized Carry-On Baggage fee:
If the carry-on baggage dimension exceeds (2x14x9)” (LxWxH) including wheels and handle, it will count as oversized baggage. For carry-on items, the maximum dimension is (17x19x8)” (LxWxH). You just have to pay attention to the baggage dimension-wise as they don’t have any weight restrictions on carry-on baggage.
Oversized baggage needs to be checked before the airport security checkpoint with check-in baggage. Carry-on bags brought to the boarding area will be checked at the gate with an additional carry-on baggage fee.
Oversized baggage checked at the gate will be placed in the cargo hold and can be collected at the baggage carousel after reaching your destination.
Baggage Allowance for Infants:
- You are allowed to bring aboard a diaper bag in addition to one carry-on and personal item. Blue Basic fares passengers can not bring any carry-on baggage including a diaper bag.
- JetBlue does not allow strollers and car seats as carry-on or checked baggage. But you can gate-check them at the jetbridge.
- Breast pumps also do not count as carry-on baggage. So you can not bring one to the aircraft.
- Baby formula, breast milk, or juice is allowed in your carry-on bag but you will be inspected by The TSA Security Officers.
- If you purchase a seat for your child, you can use an FAA-approved safety seat on board.
- Lap infants do not qualify to get any checked-in baggage facilities.
Carry-on Assistive Devices Allowance:
Wheelchair: Passengers with disabilities can request wheelchair assistance on every JetBlue flight. Wheelchairs are not allowed into the aircraft. It can only be brought as checked-in baggage. You can choose whether you want your personal wheelchair at the arrival gate or at the baggage carousel. If you choose to claim it at the carousel, JetBlue will provide you with a wheelchair service to reach there.
Duty-Free Items: Passengers are allowed to take onboard duty-free items, liquids, gels, and aerosols purchased inside the sterile area once they have gone through the security checkpoint.
JetBlue Carry-on Pet Policies:
If you are planning to travel with your pet on JetBlue, you can book your pet on JetBlue mobile app or directly check in at the airport gate.
- Six pets are allowed per flight.
- You have to pay $125 for each pet
- The approved pet carrier will be counted as one personal time and must fit within the carry-on baggage allowance size.
- The carrier’s weight has to be under 20 pounds.
- Pets are not allowed with the Mint fare.
Carry-on baggage guarantee:
Customers travelling on domestic flights within the U.S. with a Blue, Blue Extra, and Mint fare, or who purchase an Even More Space seat will have a guaranteed overhead bin space as long as it meets all the requirements. If you don’t get a space, you will receive a $25 JetBlue Travel Bank credit.
For international flights, Overhead bin space uses are based on first-come-first-served and depend on availability. So if you are boarding in a later group, you may have to gate-check your carry-on bag.
JetBlue Checked-in Baggage Allowance:
JetBlue has the most straightforward baggage policies and high oversized baggage fees. if you are planning to fly with JetBlue and don’t know their baggage allowance policies, you may have to pay a lot of extra fees. But if you are acknowledged with the policies, you can actually save a few bucks.
Checked bag Dimension: Checked baggages overall dimension(length + width + height) have to be within 62” (157.48 cm). Bags that exceed the dimension will be considered oversized bags and have to pay fees for each oversized bag. If your bag is over 80 inches (203.3 cm), It will not be accepted as checked-in baggage.
Oversized Baggage fee: Including wheels and handle, the limitation for the oversized bag is 63-80 inches (160-203.3 cm). You have to pay $150 for each oversized bag.
Checked bag Weight: Allowed weight for a checked bag is 50 pounds (22.68 kg) except for Mint fare. Mint fare passengers are allowed to carry up to 70 pounds. Bags that weigh over 99 pounds (44.91 kg) will not be allowed.
Overweight Baggage fee: Bags that weigh within 51-99 pounds (23.13-44.91 kg) will be considered overweight baggage and $150 fees will be applicable for each overweight bag.
If your checked-in baggage is overweight as well as oversized, you have to pay both oversized and overweight fees.
Restriction for specific destinations:
1. Limitation to/From Ecuador, Guyana, Haiti, Peru, Dominican Republic, Trinidad & Tobago:
- Each passenger can carry up to only 2 bags.
- Each bag cannot exceed 62 inches (157.48 cm) in overall dimensions (length + width + height) and cannot weigh over 70 pounds (31.75 kg) .
2. Limitation to/From Cuba:
- Passengers travelling to/from Cuba can check in a maximum of 2 bags or boxes, weighing 50 pounds (22.68 kg) each.
- Only factory-sealed boxes are accepted.
- The weight limitation for bags/boxes is up to 70 pounds.
- Bags/boxes cannot exceed the dimension of 62 inches (157.48 cm).
- Overweight and oversized fees are the same for all destination flights.
- Cardboard boxes, plastic bins, and televisions are not allowed on any international flight except for flights to/from Cuba
Checked-in baggage fees:
The checked-in baggage fees of JetBlue vary from domestic to international flights. The following list of fees is only applicable for baggage that complies with the size and weight restriction.
Fees for flights within the U.S., Latin America, and the Caribbean:
|Flight Category||1st Bag||2nd Bag||3rd or more bag|
|Blue Plus||No charge||$45||$150|
|Mint||No charge(up to 70 lb)||No charge(up to 70 lb)||$150|
|Mosaic||No charge||No charge||$150|
|JetBlue Plus Cardmember||No charge||$45||$150|
The flight between the United States of America and the United Kingdom:
|Flight Category||1st Bag||2nd Bag|
|Blue Plus||No charge||$105/£85|
|Blue Extra||No charge||$105/£85|
|Mint||No charge||No charge|
|Mosaic||No charge||No charge|
|JetBlue Plus Cardmember||No charge||$105/£85|
Pre-pay checked-in baggage fees: You can check in before 24 hours of your departure time on jetblue.com or using JetBlue mobile app. You can prepay for 2 baggage in advance and save $5 each.
You will get a refund if the entire booking is cancelled before the scheduled departure. The third or more bags can only be checked-in at the airport.
Checking bags for someone else: JetBlue does not accept checked bags unless the passenger who checked the bag is also aboard the plane. Each passenger has to check their own bag except for families. One member of a family travelling on the same reservation can check bags for the family by showing a valid government-issued ID.
Military Discounts: JetBlue offers some great facilities for military personnel and their families. Active duty military and their dependents will get a 5% discount on everyday JetBlue travel to 85+ destinations.
- Active military personnel travelling for duty, as well as their dependents travelling on the same itinerary, are allowed to check 5 bags each free of cost. They have to present their military orders and DoD Common Access Card (identification) to get the service.
- Active military personnel travelling for leisure and their dependents travelling with them will receive a checked baggage allowance of two (2) pieces at no additional cost.
- Veterans Advantage members can also check 2 bags without paying the baggage fees.
Sports items: JetBlue is quite flexible about the allowance of sports items. They take the liability for any damage only if the item is stored inside a hard-sided case designed to protect its contents. Any sports item that is stored inside a soft-sided container can be checked-in, in but is not covered by liability. Sports equipment that weighs over 99 pounds will not be accepted.
- Sports gear handling fee: Bikes, surfboards, kiteboarding, and windsurfing equipment are accepted as checked bags on both domestic and international flights. Passengers have to pay $100/£80 for each item, in addition to the checked baggage fee.
- Sports gear without a handling fee: The following items are exempt from the standard size requirements, so you won’t have to pay an oversized bag fee or any extra handling fee. But the overweight fee will be applicable if they weigh over 50 pounds.
- Golf bag
- Fishing equipment
- Snowskis and snowboard
- Water Skiers and wakeboard
Permitted Sports Equipments:
For the following list of sports items, checked bag fees associated with the fare purchased, as well as overweight or oversized fees will be applicable.
|Item||Carry-on Baggage||Checked-in Baggage|
|Hockey sticks/lacrosse sticks||❌||✔️|
|Shooting equipment||❌||✔️Condition Applies|
|Oars and paddles||✔️Condition Applies||✔️|
|Tennis racket||❌||✔️Except Mexico|
|Scuba equipment||✔️||✔️Condition Applies|
Musical instruments Allowance:
- Oversize or overweight fees are not applicable for musical instruments as long as they do not exceed 150 inches (381 cm) and 165 pounds (75 kg).
- The checked baggage fee will be applicable for musical instruments.
- An extra window seat can be purchased for instruments weighing 165 pounds (75 kg).
Media Bag Allowance: News representative, broadcasting, or commercial film-making company may carry cameras, film, video production, lighting, and sound equipment on a space-available basis.
Media bag fare is $50 per bag starting from the first checked bag up to 99 pounds. To get the media bag rate, passengers have to submit a Media Bag Submission Request form at least 3 business days before travel.
Seafood, Fish & Meat Allowance: JetBlue allows all kinds of meat, fish, including live shellfish, as checked or carry-on baggage on domestic flights as long as they meet the following requirements. Meat, fish, shellfish, and seafood are banned for international flights.
- All meats have to be stored in a leak-proof container.
- Packages containers and ice has to be sealed and leak-proof
- Packages that contain dry ice should not weigh over 5.5 pounds
- The package must be marked written “dry ice” or “carbon dioxide solid”
Prohibited Items in Checked Bags:
The following items are prohibited in checked bags on all JetBlue international flights:
- Firearms / Ammunition
- Television except for Cuba
- Samsung Galaxy Note 7 devices are not allowed in both carry-on and checked bags.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Are checked baggage fees refundable?
Checked bag fees are only refundable if the booking is entirely cancelled before the scheduled departure. if pre-pay your baggage fees and travel on the flight but end up not checking the bags. In this case, the fees are not refundable.
What will happen If I bring carry-on baggage with a Blue basic fare?
Blue basic fare allows only one personal item and no carry-on baggage. If you arrive at the gate with a carry-on bag, you have to pay $65 for 1st and 2nd bag and $180 for 3rd or more bags. The bags will be placed with checked-in baggage.
Can I bring a pet with a basic blue fare?
You can bring a pet with Blue basic booking. Since blue basic only allows only one carry-on personal item, so you will not be allowed to carry anything else except for your approved pet carrier.
- Wizz Air Baggage Allowance, Size, Weight, Fees & Policy
- Norwegian Air Baggage Allowances, Size, Weight & Fees
- A Complete Guide To Aer Lingus Baggage Allowance & Policy
- A Complete Guide To WESTJET Baggage Allowance
- A Complete Guide To United Airlines Baggage Allowances
- A Complete Guide To Frontier Airlines Baggage Allowances
- A Complete Guide To American Airlines Baggage Allowances
- A Complete Guide To Delta Airlines Baggage Allowances
- A Complete Guide To Southwest Airlines Baggage Allowances
- A Complete Guide To Sun Country Airlines Baggage Allowances
- A Complete Guide To Spirit Airlines Baggage Allowances
- A Complete Guide To British Airways Baggage Allowances