If you are going to Europe through KLM airlines or is simply curious about the airline carry-on size allowance- then you are in the right place.
KLM which has existed for a very long time has loads of rules and systems that you must adhere to. KLM is a Dutch flag carrier airline that has a very high reputation for being one of the safest airlines in the international community. If you are going anywhere in Europe, there is a high chance you will be taking this intercontinental airbus.
Aside from having a tremendous reputation for being a safe plane, KLM airline company is known to be very strict in following all their imposed rules and regulations. If you want to know everything about all the weight allowance policies imposed, you are in the right place.
KLM Carry-on Allowance policy
KLM allows its passengers to carry small carry-on bags along with them. This allowance is actually important since passengers will need to take their daily living necessities in their carry-on bags.
Of course, even if it meets the weight requirement doesn’t mean that the carry-on will be allowed inside. A vital regulation is that all carry-ons must be able to fit in the overhead bin that you will get when riding the aeroplane.
When you are in economy class, you are allowed to take a single carry0on and one personal small bag or purse along with you. The carry-on requirements for every economy class passenger include:
- The carry-on luggage must have a maximum dimensions of 21.5in x 10in x 13.5in/55cm x 25cm x 35cm (length x width x height). You are also allowed to have a small bag along with you of dimensions 18in x 8in x 13.5in/45cm x 20cm x 35cm.
- The maximum weight of the carry-on must be within 26 lb/12 kg.
If you decide to upgrade yourself to business class, you will naturally have far more baggage allowance when compared to economy class. For starters, you are allowed to take two carry-ons and one small bag for your personal belongings. The carry-on requirements for every business class passenger are:
- A maximum length in dimensions of 21.5in x 10in x 13.5in/55cm x 25cm x 35cm (length x width x height). The allowance for the smaller bag is 18in x 8in x 13.5in/45cm x 20cm x 35cm.
- The maximum weight allowance of the carry-on must be 40 lb/18 kg.
|Amount of bags allowed
|1 carry-on and 1 small personal bag.
|2 carry-on luggage and 1 small personal bag.
|21.5in x 10in x 13.5in for larger bags. 18in x 8in x 13.5in for smaller bags.
|18in x 8in x 13.5in for larger bags. 18in x 8in x 13.5in for smaller bags
KLM Special Baggage and cases
KLM allows you to take special baggage like sporting goods or other instruments with you. However, if you want to avail of this support you must contact and make reservations. If you make reservations beforehand, you will get a 20% discount on the original price.
|It must be packaged so that the maximum weight is 23 kg. The package must have a dimension of 176,5 x 23 x 101,5 cm.
|You are not allowed to take electric bikes, with their batteries removed. Make sure that all the tires are deflated and no parts are sticking out.
|Buggies and Strollers
|A maximum size of 15 x 30 x 100 cm dimensions.
|If you exceed the dimension requirements you will need to pay an extra fee.
|A dimension of around 55 x 35 x 25 cm. The weight cap must be 12 kg in economy class and 18 kg in business class
|You can also transport the equipment on a cargo separately, but you need to pay more.
|Fishing rods and golfing equipment
|These must have an area of up to 300 cm^2. The weight allowed in economy class is 23 kg in economy class and 32 kg in business class.
|Nothing electric is allowed to be taken.
|Wedding dresses or special costumes
|No restriction on them as long as they are properly packed and meet the regular hand baggage weight.
|Nothing no electric or fire hazards.
How strict is KLM with their hand luggage policies?
Although KLM has a lot of policies and rules for the equipment that you are taking along with you, they rarely check the weight of your carry-on luggage. However do note that, if it exceeds the dimensions that have been set, your carry-on might be sent along to the cargo section.
You can stay relaxed if your carry-on weighs slightly more than the weight that it is supposed to. Still make sure to follow the rules where ever possible. Do not look for a yard if you are given inches!
Fees for extra baggage of KLM
While you will not have to pay if your bag is only slightly overweight, if it exceeds the set weight by a lot, you will need to pay for it. The extra penalty fee differs from place to place depending on what route you are choosing. These fees are the same for both economy and business classes.
|Bags 3 – 10
|If the bag is oversized
|EUR 25 | 40
|EUR 45 | 70
|EUR 45 | 70
|Between Europe and the Middle East
|EUR 60 | 75
|EUR 160 | 200
|Between Europe and the US
|EUR 50 | 50
USD 60 | 60
|EUR 68 | 85
USD 80 | 100
|EUR 192 | 240
USD 228 | 285
|Between Europe and Canada
|EUR 50 | 50 CAD 75 | 75
|EUR 68 | 85 CAD 96 | 120
|EUR 192 | 240 CAD 264 | 330
KLM Restricted and prohibited items
KLM does have some restrictions on the type of items you are not allowed to take. These sorts of prohibited items usually include:
- Sharp objects like knives
- Poisonous objects like arsenic, or weed killer.
- No acid or similar fluids.
- Bleach, bleaching powder or such.
- Flammable liquids and flame hazardous objects.
- Urns and glassware that would break easily.
What if you have any liquids in your hand luggage?
KLM has set a liquid limit of around 100 ml per container. If you need to take more than that, you could use transparent recyclable bags with similar 100 ml fluids, but the net weight must not be over 1 litre.
Are you allowed to take any drugs in your hand luggage?
Like most other airlines, you are not allowed to take any drugs or medicine with you. However, if you have a legal doctor’s prescription for any medication or health condition, KLM will allow you to take the drugs with you.
What if you are caught with an overweight carry-on?
If your hand baggage is only slightly over the set weight, KLM will allow you to take it. But if it is well over the set amount, you will have to pay a fairly subsequent amount. This amount varies from place to place depending on your routes. However, if you are travelling within Europe, you will need to pay about 40 pounds for each piece of luggage that is overweight.
- Iberia Baggage Allowance, Fees, Limits & Policy
- A Complete Guide To Etihad Baggage Allowance & Policy
- A Complete Guide To Aer Lingus Baggage Allowance & Policy
- Virgin Atlantic Baggage Allowance, Weight, Fees & Restrictions
- Air Canada Carry On Size, Weight, Fees, Limits & Restrictions
- Ryanair Baggage Size, Weight, Fees, Allowance & Policy
- Finnair Baggage Allowance, Size, Weight, Fees, Limits & Policy
- British Airways Baggage Allowance, Weight, Sizes, Fees & Policy
- A Complete Guide To Delta Airlines Baggage Allowances
- A Complete Guide To Southwest Airlines Baggage Allowances
- A Complete Guide To Sun Country Airlines Baggage Allowances
- A Complete Guide To Spirit Airlines Baggage Allowances
- A Complete Guide To British Airways Baggage Allowances