In Order to keep ticket prices relatively cheap, Spirit Airlines charges for both carry-on and checked bags. The checked bags that weigh more than 40lbs charge more because this added weight causes the plane to consume more gas.
What is the maximum dimension of personal items and the additional carry-on baggage? The personal item will be free of extra charge as long as it fulfills the requirement of fitting entirely in a smaller-sized box and has a maximum dimension of 45cm x 35cm x 20cm or less than that. Spirit airlines do not allow any bag as a carry-on that is free of charge, other than the personal item. But an extra item can be brought with an additional charge as a carry-on bag as long as its maximum dimension is 22inch x 18inch x 10inch (56cm x 46cm x 25cm).
Spirit Airlines Carry-on Baggage:
A passenger can bring one personal item as carry-on baggage on board with him. The personal item will be free of extra charge as long as it fulfills the requirement of fitting entirely in a smaller-sized box and has a maximum dimension of 45cm x 35cm x 20cm or less than that.
The maximum size for all the sides of a personal item that can be taken on board is written in the form of a table:
Measurement of Personal Item:
|Sides of a personal item||Maximum measurement|
It is to be noted that Spirit airlines do not allow any bag as a carry-on that is free of charge other than the personal item. But an extra item can be brought with an additional charge as a carry-on bag as long as its maximum dimension is 22inch x 18inch x 10inch (56cm x 46cm x 25cm).
The maximum size for all the sides of an additional carry-on item/ bag is written below in the form of a table:
Measurement of an Additional Carry-on Item:
|Sides/Weight of an extra carry-on bag||Maximum Measurement|
The fee for bringing the additional carry-on bag/ item differs depending on when the passenger purchases the allowance. If the allowance is purchased online while booking the flight, the fee usually is USD 41. If the passenger buys the allowance online during check-in, the fee increases to USD 50. At the airport, the price of the additional item increases by USD 55, and at the gate, the price increases to USD 65.
For a better understanding, the variety of additional charges for the other carry-on item at different destinations are shown in the table below:
Price of the Additional Carry-on Item based on Destinations:
|Destinations of the additional carry-on item||Variation of prices|
|During Booking (standard fare)||USD 31|
|During books (USD 9 Fare Club)||USD 40|
|During Online booking||USD 41|
|During check-in||USD 50|
|At the airport||USD 55|
|At the gate||USD 65|
It is necessary to pay attention to the size of the personal item. This is because, if a passenger exceeds the maximum dimension that is allowed, he/ she might get charged up to USD 100 at the entrance.
Prohibited objects in Carry-on baggage, but allowed in checked baggage:
Spirit Airlines Prohibited Sharp Objects:
- Box Cutter
- Ice Axe
- Knives (Butter knives are permitted)
- Razor Type blades such as Box Cutter, Razor Blades (but disposable razors are permitted)
*Scissors and Cigar Cutters are allowed.
Prohibited sporting goods:
- Baseball Bats
- Bows & Arrows
- Cricket Bats
- Spear Guns etc.
Prohibited Firearms and Guns:
- Compressed Air Guns
- Flare Guns
- Gun Powder
- Starter Pistol etc.
To be noted:
- It must be checked with Spirit Airline if ammunition can be allowed in checked baggage.
- Firearms and flare guns must be unloaded; then, these are to be packed in a hard sides-locked container and should be declared at check-ins if permitted to be carried as checked baggage by the airline.
Exception: E-Cigarettes are allowed as carry-on baggage.
Other restricted items:
- All tools such as Axes, Hammers, drills, etc., are not permitted, except tools, screwdrivers, and pliers that are below seven inches.
- Self-defense items such as martial art weapons are not allowed as carry-on baggage.
- Explosive materials, chemicals such as dynamite, plastic explosives, etc., are strictly prohibited as carry-on and checked baggage.
Rules concerning Carry-on liquids:
The rules concerning carrying liquids as carry-on items are not instructed by Spirit Airlines. TSA and FAA set the rules. The rule “TSA 3-1-1” on the issue of the quantity of liquid allowed on board is followed by Spirit Airlines.
- According to the rule, a traveler can carry liquid and gel-like substances. But those liquid and gel-like substances are to be brought in travel-sized containers.
- These containers can have a maximum of 3.4 ounces.
- The containers must fit in a bag which is resealable and quart-size.
*It is to be noted that each passenger is allowed to have only one resealable bag.
Examples of Aerosol restricted as carry-ons in spirit airlines:
- Body spray
- Hair spray
- Sunscreen spray
- Static remover
- Shaving cream
Allowed Foods in Carry-On Bag:
|Allowed Food||Necessary instructions/ comments|
|Alcoholic beverages, Gravy||Spirit airlines allow alcoholic beverages as long as their quantity is less than or equivalent to 3.4 oz/ 100 ml.|
|Baby Food||Baby food is allowed in Spirit airlines but in reasonable quantities. It is necessary to remove these items from carry-on bags while screening to be checked separately.|
|Baby Formula||Baby formula is allowed but in reasonable quantities. It is necessary to remove these items from carry-on bags while screening, as food will get checked separately.|
|Bottled water||Bottled water is allowed on Spirit Airlines as long as its quantity is less than or equivalent to 3.4 oz/ 100 ml.|
|Bread, Cooked Food (Meat, vegetables, seafood)||Spirit allows solid or dry food, such as bread, to be transported both in carry-on or checked bags.|
|Candys, Crackers, Dry fruits, Cereals, Gums, Cookies, Fresh eggs||Since these foods are dry, they are allowed by Spirit Airlines.|
|Chocolate, Cheese||The airline will allow chess/chocolate. The cheese/ chocolate is creamy will be allowed as long as the quantity is not more than 3.4 oz/ 100 ml if it is creamy in nature. If the cheese/ chocolate is solid, the quantity is not of concern.|
|Live Lobster||If someone wants to bring live lobster, they should consult with the airline firs|
*Rules for Carrying Fresh Seafood, Meat, and Frozen food:
Seafood and meat can be brought both in carry-on baggage and checked baggage.
- If the food is frozen, it should be brought with ice packs to keep them fresh and frozen, the ice packs have to be completely frozen when brought through screening.
- Frozen food will not be allowed to be brought on board if the pieces of ice melt partially and water accumulates at the container’s bottom.
- In carry-ons, the passengers are allowed to pack frozen perishables in dry ice.
- The passengers are limited to five pounds of dry ice by FAA. It has to be adequately packaged and then marked.
Spirit Airlines Carry-On Pet Policy:
Spirit airlines allow domestic cats and dogs. Apart from these, the airline also allows small household birds and rabbits (except to/from Puerto Rico).
- Small domestic dogs/cats/birds/rabbits are allowed in the passenger section.
- Pets are allowed to be with the passengers and are not to be checked as baggage.
- Spirit Airlines does not allow exotic pets, such as spiders and snakes, onboard.
- Each passenger is allowed can bring more than one pet in one carrier.
- The airlines permit a maximum number of two pets per container.
- A pet that is below eight weeks old is not allowed on the flight.
- A passenger with a pet can choose to sit anywhere, except in the first row and the emergency exit row.
- Spirit Airlines does not ask for the pet’s health certificate, except for the pets of passengers traveling to the USA.
- The pet should be able to fit under your front seat.
- Only soft containers are allowed on the plane, but not the kind that will let the pet’s head stick out of the container.
- The maximum dimension of the pet carrier is 18inch x 14inch x 9inch (45.72cm x 35.56cm x 22.86cm).
Maximum Size and Weight (including the pets) of the Pet Carrier:
|Sides/Weight of Pet Carrier||Maximum measurements|
|Length of the carrier||18inch/ 45.72cm|
|Width of the carrier||14inch/ 35.56cm|
|Height of the carrier||9inch/ 22.86cm|
|Weight of the carrier, including the pet||40 pounds or 18.14kg|
- The carrier and the pet’s combined weight must not exceed the weight limit of 40 pounds or 18.14kg.
- A total of 6 pets are allowed in a Spirit Airlines flight.
- It would be best if you made sure that there is space for your pet on the flight.
- The airline charges USD 110 for each carrier for a one-way flight.
- Spirit does not allow pets on board in international flights except for emotional support animals.
Measurement of Assistive Device:
|Sides of the Assistive Device||Maximum Measurement|
|Length of Assistive Device||39inch/ 99cm|
|Width of Assistive Device||26inch/ 116cm|
|Height of Assistive Device||11inch/ 63cm|
- A maximum of two manual folding wheelchairs is allowed per flight, and this is determined on the basis of first-come, first-serve.
- Spirit Airlines do not take cabin baggage allowance for babies sitting in an adult’s lap.
- There is no cabin baggage fee for babies of 8 days to 23 months who have an extra comfortable seat.
- Passengers are allowed to carry two baby pieces of equipment at no additional charge.
- The maximum dimension of the baby’s bag can be 45cm x 35cm x 20cm.
- The maximum weight of the bag is 5kg.
6. A fully collapsible stroller or infant’s carrying basket is allowed on board and is included as one of the two pieces of baby equipment which is permitted.
Measurement of the Baby Bag:
|Sides/ Weight of the Baby Bag||Maximum Measurements|
|Length of the baby bag||45cm|
|Width of the baby bag||35cm|
|Height of the baby bag||20cm|
|Weight of the baby bag||5kg|
The checked bags can have a maximum of 62 linear inches, which is the total summation of length, breadth, and height. And the maximum weight is 40 pounds or 18.14kg. If the bag exceeds the maximum linear inches, it will be considered an oversized bag.
- Spirit Airlines do not accept bags that weigh more than 100 pounds or 45kg.
- If the size of the bag is more than 80 linear inches or more, the bag will not be allowed on the flight.
Measurement of Checked Baggage:
|Dimension/ Weight||Maximum measurement|
|Maximum size of checked bags||62 linear inches|
|Maximum weight||40 pounds or 18.14kg|
|Limitation of the weight of oversized bags||100 pounds or 45kg|
|Limitation of the size of oversized bags||80 linear inches or 203 cm|
- Each passenger is allowed one paid checked baggage while traveling to South American countries, like Columbia and Ecuador.
- Additional checked items need to be purchased based on a first-come, first-serve.
The fee for checked bags differs depending on when the passenger purchases the allowance.
- If the allowance is purchased online while booking the flight, the fee for the first checked bag usually is USD 26, and the price for the second and third checked bags is USD 36 and USD 81.
- If the passenger buys the allowance online during check-in, the fee increases to USD 36, and the fee for the second and third checked bags is USD 46 and USD 91.
- At the airport, the price of the first checked item increases to USD 50, the second checked baggage increases to USD 60, and for the third checked bag, the fee increases to USD 100.
For a better understanding, the variety of additional charges for the other carry-on item at different destinations are shown in the table below:
Price of the Checked Baggage based on Destinations:
|Destinations of the additional carry-on item||1st Checked Baggage||2nd Checked Baggage||3rd Checked Baggage|
|During Booking (standard fare)||USD 26||USD 36||USD 81|
|During booking (USD 9 Fare Club)||USD 35||USD 45||USD 90|
|Before Online Check-in (standard fee)||USD 36||USD 46||USD 91|
|At the airport||USD 50||USD 60||USD 100|
|At the gate||USD 65||N/A||N/A|
Spirit Airlines Extra Baggage Fee
Extra Baggage Fees apply when a bag exceeds the baggage allowance that the passenger purchased with Spirit Airlines. The fee is USD 30 per bag if the bag weighs between 41-50lbs (18-23kg). The price is USD 55 if the bag weighs between 51-70lbs (23-32kg), and if the bag weighs between 71-100lbs (32-45kg), the fee is USD 100 for each bag.
If the dimension of the bag is between 68inches -80inches, the fee is USD 100, and if over 80inches, the price is USD 150.
Chart of Extra Baggage Fee:
|Extra baggage weight/ dimension||Additional charge per bag|
|41-50lbs (18-23kg)||+USD 35|
|51-70lbs (23-32kg||+USD 60|
|71-100lbs (32-45kg)||+USD 100|
|Over 80inches||+USD 150|
Is a laptop bag free on Spirit Airlines?
A passenger can take a laptop bag on Spirit Airlines for free as a personal item. But this is applicable as long as the bag does not exceed the maximum dimension as instructed by Spirit Airlines. The maximum dimension of a free personal item is 18inch x 14inch x 8inch.
How much baggage can you take as checked baggage on Spirit Airlines?
You can take a maximum of 62 linear inches or a total of 158cm (summation of length, width, and height) as checked baggage free of additional charge. The maximum weight of the baggage can be 40 pounds or 18.14kg. If the weight or dimensions of the baggage cross the maximum limit as instructed by the airline, you would need to pay additional charges.
Can a passenger bring his/her child’s car seat or stroller?
Spirit Airlines will allow its passengers to bring a stroller and a car seat free of extra charge at the ticket counter. If a passenger is traveling with two babies, he/she can check a double stroller.
Do Spirit Airlines charge prosthetic devices?
Spirit Airlines do not charge for assistive/ prosthetic devices. Assistive devices are not counted towards the carry-on baggage allowance and can be brought without any additional fees. Passengers can bring portable oxygen concentrators, ventilators, etc., onboard following the provided guidelines/instructions. The prosthetic device must not exceed the maximum dimension of 39inch x 26inch x 11inch (99cm x 116cm x 63cm). If the device has a larger dimension, it will be checked in with no additional fee.
Do Spirit Airlines let its passengers bring carry-on baggage free of charge?
Spirit airlines do not allow any bag as a carry-on that is free of charge other than the personal item. But an extra item can be brought with an additional charge as a carry-on bag as long as its maximum dimension is 22inch x 18inch x 10inch (56cm x 46cm x 25cm). There are exceptions for babies and people with disabilities.
- American Airlines Carry on Size, Allowance, Weight, Fees, Limits & Restrictions
- Delta Airlines Carry On Size, Personal Item Size, Weight, Fees, limits & Restrictions
- Alaska Airlines Carry on Size, Weight, Fees, Limit & Policy
- ANA Baggage Allowance, Carry-on Size, Weight & Policy
- United Airlines Baggage Allowance
- Jetblue Baggage Allowance