Thai Airways have always been one of the world’s best leading airway company based in Thailand. Where ever you are going to go around the world, there is a high chance that Thai airways could be your companion in your journey.
If you have bought a ticket for a ride with Thai airways or thinking of buying one- you should take note of the baggage allowance and requirements that the airline brand follows. If you are on the economy ride, you will be given one carry-on bag complimentary with your purchased ticket. The bag can be of a maximum size of 56 x 45 x 25 cm (22 x 18 x 10 in).
Carry-on baggage allowance
The carry-on allowance for Thai airways is pretty lax since they have a high weight and size allowance compared to most other airline brands. The baggage restrictions apply to all classes without any discrimination. These restrictions are:
- The maximum dimensions of the standard carry-on must be 56 x 45 x 25 cm. This dimension includes the wheels, handle and any other retractable features.
- The maximum dimension of the small bag or purse that you are allowed to carry is 37.5 x 25 x 12.5 cm.
- The total weight of the carry-on bag must 7 kg while the additional small bag cannot exceed 1.5 kg.
- The small bag can only have notebooks, laptops, important documents and baby food if needed.
In addition to the baggage that is mentioned above, you can also bring in walking sticks or crutches if a passenger happens to be elderly, handicapped or sick with some disease.
Checked-in baggage allowance
Thai airways follow different regulations for all seat types depending on the route it takes. The regulation also differs depending on the seating types. The checked-in baggage allowances are given below.
For domestic routes:
|Royal Silk Class||40 kg (88 pounds)|
|Premium Economy Class||30 kg (66 pounds)|
|Economy Class||30 kg (66 pounds)|
|-Infant not occupying a seat||10 kg (22 pounds)|
For domestic flights, VIP cardholders have an access to some more weight privileges.
- Star alliance gold members can take 20 kg extra.
- Royal Orchid gold members can take 30 kg extra.
- ROP silver members can take 20 kg extra.
For international flights between Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa, and the Middle East:
|Royal First Class||50 kg (110 pounds)|
|Royal Silk Class||40 kg (88 pounds)|
|Premium Economy Class||40 kg (88 pounds)|
|SAVER Economy Class||20 kg (44 pounds)|
|FLEXI Economy Class||30 kg (66 pounds)|
|FULL FLEXI Economy Class||35 kg (77 pounds)|
|Infant not occupying a seat||10 kg (22 pounds)|
In addition to the restrictions mentioned above, the points below must also be taken into consideration:
- Economy class passengers are only allowed to two pieces of baggage that must be within a size limit of 158 linear cm (62 inches).
- Royal class and royal silk passengers can bring in two baggages within a size limit of 158 cm (62 inches).
- VIP cardholders can bring in more extra weight in their baggage ranging from 10-30 more kilos depending on their cards.
For international flights between US/ Canada:
|Class||Maximum Weight||Dimensions||Number of bags|
|First (Royal First)||32 kg (70 lbs)||158 cm||2|
|Business(Royal Silk)||32 kg (70 lbs)||158 cm||2|
|Economy||23 kg (50 lbs)||158 cm||2|
|Infant not occupying a seat||23 kg (50 lbs)||115 cm||1|
Excess baggage fee
The excess baggage differs between both domestic and international flights. Even in international flights the excess payment range differs depending on the zone where you re taking your flight from and where exactly to.
|All the fees are in THB||Chiang Rai||Khon Kaen||Surat Thani||Udon Thani||Chiang Mai||Hat Yai||Krabi||Phuket||Ubon Ratchathani|
For international flights:
|To Zone 1||To Zone 2||To Zone 3||To Zone 4||To Zone 5||To Zone 6|
|From Zone 1||12 USD / kg||15 USD / kg||40 USD / kg||45 USD / kg||70 USD / kg||180 USD / piece|
|From Zone 2||15 USD / kg||40 USD / kg||45 USD / kg||55 USD / kg||70 USD / kg||180 USD / piece|
|From Zone 3||40 USD / kg||45 USD / kg||55 USD / kg||60 USD / kg||70 USD / kg||180 USD / piece|
|From Zone 4||45 USD / kg||55 USD / kg||60 USD / kg||70 USD / kg||70 USD / kg||180 USD / piece|
|From Zone 5||70 USD / kg||70 USD / kg||70 USD / kg||70 USD / kg||70 USD/ kg||180 USD / piece|
|From Zone 6||180 USD / piece||180 USD / piece||180 USD / piece||180 USD / piece||180 USD / piece||180 USD / piece|
The zones are used to represent different countries. For instance, Zone 1 is used for Asia, while Zone 2 is used for Southeast Asia. Zone 3 represents the Middle East. Russia and some parts of Europe and Northern Africa, and Australia fall under Zone 4. The rest of Europe and South Africa falls for Zone 5. USA and Canada are represented by Zone 6.
Which items are considered restricted?
The airlines themselves do not have a list of restricted items. However, everything that is restricted to be carried by like knives, weapons, electric batteries, etc will not be tolerated under any means. The rules is as same as other airlines.
How to transport sporting or musical instruments?
The special equipment will not be given any special consideration but will be counted together along with the checked baggage. Of course, you could also buy extra transportation rights for your instrument package.
- AirAsia Baggage Allowance, Weight, Fees & Restrictions
- Air Arabia Baggage Allowance, Size, Weight & Fees
- Air India Baggage Allowance, Size, Weight & Fees
- SpiceJet Air Baggage Allowance (Updated)
- A Complete Guide To Indigo Baggage Allowance & Policy
- Spirit Airlines Carry on Size, Checked Bag Size, Weight, Fees & Policy