Wi-Fi is good, but free Wi-Fi is even better. As Wi-Fi has become an intricate part of our everyday lives, people seek more and more ways to access it at cheaper rates and possibly, for free. One commonplace with free Wi-Fi access is airports.
In the case of air travellers, they take it for granted that they expect free Wi-Fi at airports just as they expect airlines to provide free Wi-Fi on flights. It comes in handy when travelling to a new country for the first time needed to make arrangements for accommodation and transport.
Airports are like mini-cities complete with retail shops, restaurants, and hotels. Many airports now prop rod free fast Wi-Fi internet connection to travellers as a perk. They, like cities, need to increase internal efficiency with a secure, Internet-of-things Wi-Fi-enabled network. It is a system that serves travellers and airline tenants, concessionaires, and the airport’s activities.
Some airports provide access throughout the vicinity, while others m] restrict access to specific terminals or reception areas. Furthermore, several airline membership lounges may perhaps have complimentary Wi-Fi access.
In any case, you need not bother much if you want to utilize an airport’s Wi-Fi. This article details some of the major airports with free/partly free Wi-Fi both in the U.S and other countries in draws to how to connect to them.
U.S Airports With Free Wi-Fi
Located in Georgia, ATL is the world’s most active and organized airport and is probably the best airport in North America. The airport in itself serves as a huge Wi-Fi hot spot with free access throughout the vicinity, including the inconspicuous transport mall.
You can access the Wi-Fi to browse, email, stream music and movies, and access VPNs using any Wi-Fi-supported mobile device. Connect by joining the “ATL Free Wi-Fi” hotspot on your mobile device. Then, visit your browser and sign in to your email address. Read the terms and conditions, and submit.
- Northwest Alabama Regional Airport (MSL)
Based in Alabama and popularly termed as the gateway to the Shoals Area, MSL offers free Wi-Fi and other amenities to passengers travelling through the Shoal area.
DEN provides free Wi-Fi internet access all over the airport. You can connect to two different free Wi-Fi. The first is “DEN Airport Free Wi-Fi” while the second is “DEN Airport Free Wi-Fi 2.4”.
Ensure your device’s Wi-Fi is on. Choose either of the two options and tap on the “connect” option. No login or playing a video is required.
The O’Hare International Airport offers limitless free Wi-Fi access at all their terminals, including pre and post-security. You can access it by joining the “Boingo Hotspot” or “_Free_ORD _Wi-Fi” network. Open your browser to another non-HTTPS URL link to access the Wi-Fi page. Then, select “Watch an ad to Connect” below the “ORD Free Unlimited Wi-Fi” tab.
Free Wi-Fi is accessible in all the terminals on both sides of the airport’s security, in most shopping areas, restaurants, the hallway of the car rental area, and close to the gates. Boingo Wireless supplies the Wi-Fi service for the airport.
To connect online, toggle on your device’s Wi-Fi and join the “Free PHX Boingo Wi-Fi” hotspot. Go ahead to your browser and register a Wi-Fi account or sign in using a previous one.
- Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)
Philadelphia International Airport offers free Wi-Fi to passengers provided by the AT&T network. It is available for everyone throughout the terminus all day. You can access the Wi-Fi using any Wi-Fi-supported device or an 802.11b internet interface card.
Limitless, free Wi-Fi is available for travellers using LAX. The free session lasts for 45 minutes after playing a short (15 – 30 seconds) Ad video. Join to “_LAX Free Wi-Fi” network. Start your browser and pick “Free Unlimited Wi-Fi” Play the short Ad to access your free Wi-Fi session.
Additionally, higher-speed access is available to customers at a price.
- For 24 hours unlimited internet access using up to 4 gadgets (Boingo daily plan) – $7.95.
- Unlimited internet access to more than a million hot spots worldwide using up to 4 gadgets (Boingo monthly plan) – $4.98 for the first month and $14.99 per month subsequently.
- Bill & Hillary Clinton National Airport
The SEA-TAC Airport proffers free Wi-Fi throughout its public areas.
The Texas-based airport has free Wi-Fi for travellers. To access the service, join the “DFW Airport Complimentary Wi-Fi” hotspot, sign in and agree to the Terms and Conditions, register your email for the airport’s e-newsletter, and get connected.
The airport Wi-Fi is accessible through a partnership with AT&T and its commercial partners. So while AT&T users get automatically connected, non-AT&T customers may get Ad videos between their Wi-Fi usage.
International Airports With Free Wi-Fi
Some of the international airports where one can get free Wi-Fi includes the following:
- Ottawa International Airport (YOW) – Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
- Sydney International Airport – Sydney, Australia.
- British Airways’ airport lounges at Manchester, Glasgow, Heathrow, Jersey, Gatwick, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, and Newcastle.
- Helsinki-Vantaa Airport – Vantaa, Finland
- Hong Kong International Airport – Hong Kong
- Auckland International Airport – New Zealand
Advantages Of Free Wi-Fi At Airports
1. Passengers get to enjoy the following services:
- Free Wi-Fi access for browsing, emailing, texting e. t c.
- Alternative premium service.
- Detailed and personalized flight information.
- Online airport maps.
- Individualized offers.
- Lower roaming prices.
2. Free Wi-Fi at airports also increase passenger traffic. More travellers would prefer using the airports to travel.
3. Furthermore, airport stakeholders such as retail shops, hotels, advertisers, car rentals, airlines, and restaurants attract more customers as travellers spend extra time while waiting for their flights due to the draw of free Wi-Fi.
4. Airport staff and contractors also enjoy the benefits of free Wi-Fi.
Disadvantages Of Free Wi-Fi At airports
Passengers still find free airport Wi-Fi irresistible despite repeated warnings about the dangers involved.
One of the prominent disadvantages of free airport Wi-Fi is data insecurity. Airport Wi-Fi is public Wi-Fi, so it is unsafe, unlike private Wi-Fi. Therefore, hackers can easily access vital information about the user of public Wi-Fi. This information includes; credit card information, passwords, home, and office addresses, and safe codes, e. t. c.
Again, users are exposed to malicious software like viruses while accessing free Wi-Fi. Fortunately, many airports’ Wi-Fi support Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), while a few offer safe Wi-Fi access to passengers.
Guarding Oneself On Free Airport Wi-Fi
Public Wi-Fi, including airport Wi-Fi, is not secured. Hackers can access information conveyed in public Wi-Fi using multiple ways. Consequently, one needs to be cautious about their activities while using free Wi-Fi at airports.
- Avoid accessing websites that demand vital information like credit card details, financial accounts, passwords, e.t.c.
- Stay clear of “Free Public Wi-Fi” hotspots advertised in airports. You might gain access to the internet, but they are probably false, insecure networks designed to steal your information.
- To counter the security limitations of public Wi-Fi, you can utilize Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) to protect your online activities and information while accessing airport Wi-Fi.
How To Connect To Airport Wi-Fi
Below are the general steps to connect to free Wi-Fi at most airports.
- Turn on your device’s Wi-Fi mode.
- Look at listed hotspots and check for any airport-named Wi-Fi.
- Join it. If a password is required, you can seek help from any airport staff.
- If not, go ahead and sign up or log in with your phone number and email address. You might receive an OTP for validation.
- Complete the validation process and then gain access to the free Wi-Fi.
- Some might require watching a short Ad or signing up for digital newsletters before gaining access.
Commonly Asked Questions
Can I Get Free Wi-Fi At Airports?
Yes. Airports are some popular public places where one can get free Wi-Fi.
Which Airports Offer Free Wi-Fi?
Many airports offer free Wi-Fi to air travellers e. g. Chicago O’Hare International Airport, Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, Miami International Airport, Dallas-Fort International Airport.
Is Airport Wi-Fi Safe?
Airport Wi-Fi is public Wi-Fi and consequently unsafe and open to hackers. You should make use of VPNs while using any public Wi-Fi.