As a responsible passenger for any international flight like Cathay Pacific, you must have a clear idea of the Cathay Pacific baggage limits. If you don’t acknowledge their regulations before packing, then you may have to fly leaving behind your essential items. For avoiding any unwanted situation on your flight, consider a glance at the A to Z guidelines of Cathay Pacific baggage allowance.
Normally Carry on baggage for economy class is 7 kg and checked-in baggage for economy class is 30 kg. The carry-on bag size is 23cm x 36cm x 56cm and the checked baggage size is 203cm. Besides, for the additional baggage, it is needed to pay $12 to $60 per extra kg.
Cathay Pacific Overview
Cathay Pacific is one of the largest airlines that initiated its air business in Hong Kong. It flies to more than 40 countries in Africa, Europe, Asia, North America, and Oceania. Besides, this air service is well known not only for its standard service quality but also for its wide baggage allowances. Thus, it ensures a top-notch travel experience by providing a flexible luggage allowance according to its classes.
Cathay Pacific Baggage Limits-Right Weight And Size
As there are several regulations for different types of baggage based on the class ranges, you may get puzzled with finding your preferred one. So, here is the description of the Cathay Pacific baggage allowance 2021 based on several categories.
|7 kg1 Bag
|7 kg1 Bag
|10 Kg 1 Bag
|15 Kg1 Bag
|30 Kg2 Bags
|35kg 2 Bags
|40Kg 2 Bags
|50 kg3 Bags
|30 Kg2 Bags
|35kg 2 Bags
|40Kg 2 Bags
|50 kg3 Bags
Checked Baggage Allowance
- Economy: 30 Kg (66 lbs) and the size of 203cm is the allowance for an economy class that includes two medium-sized bags. However, in the case of the flights from Hong Kong to Auckland and America, the baggage allowance is only 23 kg (50 lbs).
- Premium Economy: Most flights allow almost 35kg (77 lbs) which also includes 2 medium-sized bags of 203cm. In the premium economy, all the flights follow this range except the flights to America, which allows 25 kg (50 lbs).
- Business Class: You can carry up to 40 Kg (88 lbs) that including two checked baggage. However, the passengers of American and Hong Kong flights cannot exceed more than 32 kg (70 lbs), and the size of 203cm.
- First Class: This is the only class that allows 3 bags weighing up to 50 kg. Moreover, it has a car seat and stroller allowance along with two bags up to 10 kg for the infants.
Carry-on Baggage Limitations
- Economy: Cathay Pacific allows a minimum yet user-friendly carry-on baggage weighing up to 7 kg. It includes 1 bag of 23cm x 36cm x 56cm size. Besides, you can also carry one small item in hand like a backpack, laptop bag, camera, or briefcase.
- Premium Economy: Like the economy class, it also limits its baggage allowance to 7 kg and 23cm x 36cm x 56cm. So, you can carry a medium-sized bag and small handy items easily with this limitation.
- Business Class: If you have booked a business class, then you can pack your carry-on items up to 10 kg of 23cm x 36cm x 56cm size. So, it is considered as one medium to large-sized baggage along with one small and easily carryable item.
- First Class: In the case of first-class service, you cannot exceed 15 kg. Besides, the number of carry-on baggage should be one. In addition, there is an allowance for small handy bags like laptop or camera bags, small shoulder backpacks, or cosmetic bags.
Sports Equipment Allowance
In Cathay Pacific air service, there are no extra baggage allowance facilities for sports equipment. Rather, they are considered checked baggage. Therefore, you have to follow the regulations of checked baggage for any kind of sports equipment according to your booked class.
If you want to carry any bulky and oversized equipment, then you have to count some extra fees for your excess baggage. Moreover, there are some restrictions for particular sports items that you need to follow from the Cathay Pacific baggage limits official website.
- One pair of boots and snow skies.
- One bag for carrying all the golf equipment.
- You can carry two rifles in one rifle case weighing up to 5 kg along with one shooting mat.
- One bed-roll or sleeping bag.
- One backpack or duffle bag
- The rescue backpack should be protected with pressure relief valves
- One single-seat non-motorized bicycle
- The case of the sports equipment should not exceed 136 x 48 x 44cm
- A cylinder bag should be equipped with pyrotechnic mechanisms.
- A cylinder with compressed gas must be carried in a rescue bag.
- Five pistols in one case that should be within 5 kg along with necessary small pistol tools.
Cathay Pacific Baggage Limits for Musical Instruments
You can easily take some musical instruments in your checked baggage but the limit for the instruments is 7 kg along with the case. In addition, there are some more restrictions on a musical instrument that you need to follow.
- You can not exceed the size of 93 x 39 x 24cm or 36 x 15 x 9in (height x width x depth).
- If the larger instruments exceed the limit of carry-on baggage, then you must pack them in checked baggage.
- Make sure that you follow the proper dimension limits along with the weight.
- You have to pack all the musical instruments in a hard case.
Cathay Pacific Extra Baggage Cost
Like other air services, Cathay Pacific also costs fees for extra baggage. Therefore, you have to pay per kg of your additional baggage. It depends on the route but in most cases, the fee starts from USD 12 to USD 60 per extra kg.
The price range varies from route to route. For instance, there are some listed Zones to set the extra baggage fees. Besides, check out the given list for excess baggage on Cathay Pacific’s official website.
Restricted Items for Cathay Pacific
There are some prohibited items that you cannot take to your Cathay Pacific air flights. So, the restricted items include,
- Guns or any kind of harmful weapon
- Knives and other sharp cutting materials.
- Toy Guns
- Lighter fuel and refills
There are some specific guidelines and restrictions for several routes. Check them out before packing your baggage,
- If you are a passenger from Japan, then you are not permitted to carry hair irons that have non-removable lithium batteries.
- You are not permitted to bring durian fruits like a jackfruit in your cabin baggage.
- There are individual restrictions on Alcohol for individual countries. Therefore, have a look at the customs regulations for alcoholic beverages of the destination country before packing them.
Do Cathay Pacific airlines have a limitation on check-in baggage?
Yes, Cathay Pacific airlines have limitations on checked-in baggage and it depends on the route and class you have taken. Moreover, the number of baggage allowances for the economy, premium economy, and business class is almost the same, which is 2 bags.
What is the baggage allowance for Cathay Pacific economy?
The passengers of Cathay Pacific economy class are allowed to check two pieces of bags within 30 kg. However, in the case of American flights, the limitation of checking baggage is only 23kg for two bags
Is Cathay Pacific strict with baggage allowance?
Yes, Cathay Pacific authority is strict about their international baggage policy. They don’t allow any banned or restricted items on their flights. Moreover, they follow the local customs rules and regulations for their several routes according to the classes.
How much does Cathay Pacific charge for overweight baggage?
Cathay Pacific charges an international for extra baggage. The rate is between $13 and 65$ per extra kg. In case of bringing an additional piece beyond your checked baggage weight allowance, you have to pay $30 to $60 for each extra piece.
No matter how much you try to pack less during flights, there is always a chance of having overweight baggage. Therefore, it is very necessary to know the baggage allowance of that certain air service, which you have booked. If you are going to be a passenger of Cathay Pacific airlines, then this Cathay Pacific baggage limits guideline will be the cherry on top of your next trip planning.